About the Festival
Highland Dancing Rules
Highland Dancing Entry Form
Open Bagpipe Quartet Competition
The 62nd Festival of the Tartans & Highland Games
Festival of the Tartans – New Glasgow Highland Games Competition Rules
1. Late entries may be accepted at the discretion of the Festival.
2. “Dancers must comply with the SOBHD Code of Conduct. Failure to do so will result in the
dancer being reported to the SOBHD.”
3. First to enter, last to dance.
4. Medals and trophies will be awarded in all categories except primary where no trophy is awarded.
5. Dancers must report to dance area when their class is called or risk disqualification from that dance.
6. Dancers must be in full dress to receive awards (including slippers).
7. Age as of date of competition.
8. Age categories will be based on number of registrations in each classification.
9. Scrutineering shall be conducted as recommended by SOBHD. Dancers will be judged according to the technique of the SOBHD. Judges decisions will be final and there will be no access to the judge's sheets.
10.Any protest must be lodged in writing and postmarked within 7 days, accompanied by a fee of $25 which will be returned if the protest is upheld.
11. The Festival of the Tartans will not be responsible or liable for lost articles, accidents, injuries or illness to competitors or spectators.
12. No coaching by teachers or parents while dancers are on stage. Only those teachers and parents working to line up dancers are permitted in the line up area.
13. No refunds after entries received.
14. There is to be no changing in public areas.
Fleur Mainville Premier Dancer of the Day Awarded to the Premier dancer with the highest points.
(6 dancers Minimum in the group)
Directions to Tartan Field:
Take the Blue Acres turn off to New Glasgow - EXIT 25. Coming from Cape Breton, go right off the exit ramp toward New Glasgow. Coming from Truro/Halifax, go left off the exit ramp. Once off the highway continue on the road & up the hill. Pass through the first set of lights with Shoppers Drug Mart on the right. Continue straight. Pass the hospital on the left, McDonalds on your right, through a set of lights with the Aberdeen Mall on your right. Turn left across from the Mall at the first street you can turn onto (Hearing Clinic on the corner). Both the first & second streets on your left will provide entrance to the parking lot beside the John Brother MacDonald Stadium. Parking is in the Stadium parking lot and the Tartan Field is beside the parking lot.
Links of Interest:
Town of New Glasgow
Federation of Scottish Culture in Nova Scotia